Cooking can sometimes feel like a chore at the end of a busy day. But preparing a simple, healthy meal doesn’t have to be time-consuming. We love sharing your Instagram posts, so here are the recipes behind them – some quick wholesome dishes that you and your family will love using the best of what’s in season here at Meadowside. They can even be prepared in advance.
Serves 8 as a side, 4 as a substantial dinner with crusty bread and some greens
Cooks In1 hour 35 minutes
Not too tricky to make
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 50 g plain flour
- 600 ml semi-skimmed milk
- 500 g broccoli
- 75 g mature Cheddar cheese
- 1 kg cauliflower
- 2 slices of ciabatta or stale bread
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- olive oil
- 25 g flaked almonds
- To make the sauce, peel and finely slice the garlic and put it into a pan on a medium heat with the butter.
- When the butter has melted, stir in the flour for 1 minute to make a paste, then gradually add the milk, whisking as you go, until smooth and starting to thicken.
- Roughly chop and add the broccoli to the pan and simmer for around 20 minutes, then mash or blitz with a stick blender until fairly smooth.
- Grate in half the Cheddar, mix well, taste, and season to perfection.
- Snap off and wash the cauliflower leaves, discarding any tatty ones, then cut the centre into florets, slicing up the stalk.
- Arrange it all in an appropriately sized baking dish, letting any leaves hang beautifully over the edge.
- Pour over the broccoli sauce and grate over the remaining Cheddar.
- In a food processor, blitz the bread and thyme leaves into rough crumbs with 1 tablespoon of oil and a pinch of sea salt and black pepper, then pulse in the almonds so they retain a nice bit of texture. Scatter the topping evenly over the cauliflower cheese. Cover and pop in the fridge
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4.
- Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until golden and cooked through, then enjoy!